Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Way to Save--#2 Be Thrifty


“Thrifting” is not a new concept, but one I feel is not taken advantage of enough. By “thrifting” I mean Goodwill, thrift stores, garage sales, craigslist, ebay or consignment stores. All these places are great venues to save money at. Finding a bargain brings me a momentary happiness. I love a good deal and it’s hard to pass one up. Thrifting can save a lot of money if you are wise in what you are purchasing; especially when shopping for children’s items. As a stay-at-home mom I am always looking for ways to save a penny--well maybe not a penny but a dollar. Although thrifting does take a little more time than going to a retail store and buying it new, the savings will still outweigh the time spent.

Just the other day I went to Salvation Army and found a gently used push walker toy for $3 as compared to buying the same toy new for $20. This toy was hard plastic so all I needed to do was disinfect it really well and it was good as new! My daughter is 8 months and never know the difference. I have also purchased otherwise expensive toys for only a few dollars at other local thrift stores such as Mama Kelly's in Old Towne Bellevue. I recommend buying toys that are able to wipe clean and disinfect. One amazing deal that I snagged was at Mama Kelly's in Bellevue. Taggies are these plush blankets and toys that have tag ribbons all around the edges because for some reason or another, kids and babies love tags! These Taggie blankets retail for around $15-$30 new. I found a new--doesn't look used at all--taggie blanket (the bigger size) for $2.50! The Taggie blanket retails for around $20--even on ebay! That is one amazing deal!!!

If you do not have time or a way to go out to thrift, you can always go online to hot spots such as craigslist, ebay and other auction-like websites. You can find almost anything online now days with a click of a mouse!

Consignment stores are perfect for finding a bargain. In the Omaha metro area there are several consignment stores that are great for finding a good deal on gently used kid’s stuff. My favorite store for this is Bigwheels to Butterflies. They have amazing prices on clothes, toys and baby gear. I do almost all my shopping for my daughter there and am able to get so much more for my money. Since babies only wear outfits once or twice, the clothes are in impeccable condition. I usually can find outfits for around $2.50-3.50. Some name brand items are a few dollars more but most of the time their clothes fall within that range. They also sell toys, baby gear, shoes and anything else you could need for a baby or toddler. The nice thing about buying from stores like this is that once you are done with the item, you can sell it back to them! I like this concept most of all. This store has two locations in the Omaha area—168th & Maple and 72nd & 370. Not only do they have these two stores, but they also have a sister store called B2B—Last Chance where everything is $1. Seriously, everything is only one dollar! They take the items that do not sell at the other locations and send them to this store. Not only will you find clothes there but also toys, shoes, hats, socks, tights, leggings, swimsuits, movies & books. Next to Bigwheels to Butterflies, their B2B store is my favorite. With a little digging, I can find great clothes for only $1 each. Sometimes they have a sale and everything is only 50 cents!!! Thrifting is a great way to save a buck, especially on kid’s items. Kid’s are so rough on their clothes, why not buy “play clothes” at a consignment store?

Another way to save by thrifting is to sell your kid’s stuff at a consignment store as a mentioned before. When finding a deal online I prefer to use CraigsList and Ebay. I like CriagsList because it’s local and I don’t have to pay shipping. Ebay is nice when looking for a particular item but you do have to pay shipping. Both are great for saving money, but I always price out items to see if I am getting a good deal or getting hosed. Other thrifting avenues are great for saving money---Goodwill, thrift stores, flea markets & garage sales. With a little digging, you are sure to find great bargains & save money!


No comments:

Post a Comment