Monday, August 9, 2010

Less is More

A while back, I decided I had way too much stuff. Stuff in the closets, stuff in the drawers, stuff under the bed, stuff downstairs, upstairs, in the garage and everywhere. Too much stuff. I found myself wondering, "How did I end up with all this stuff?" In the next moment I decided all this extra stuff had to go. I don't know how or why we feel the need as humans to buy, buy, buy; but, we do. We then end up with stuff, stuff, stuff. Some stuff we need and must have. But some stuff just takes up space and energy. Sometimes when I purchase something, I do not think about the simple fact that I will have to find a spot in my house for that something. In fact, I think many times I forget this and that is why I have ended up with stuff I do not need. When I realized how much useless stuff I had and that I had no good place to store it all, I decided to prioritize and declutterize---if that's a word. I began throwing gobs and gobs of things away or placing them in a pile for give-away. If you have ever done this before, than you can attest to how good it feels to get rid of things you don't use or have any use for. Then I began organizing the stuff I needed or wanted to keep. This is still an on-going process. I cannot fully express how refreshing it is to have less. If I did not have such emotional attachments to some of my belongings, I would get rid of more. The simple fact is---less is more.  Not just more space, but more in the sense that it reminds you of what is really important in your life. Stuff is just not important. It is exactly what I just stated--stuff. It can't make you happy and it can't do much for you but sit and gather dust. I'll tell you what can bring joy and happiness and worth to your life---faith, family & friends. So, instead of collecting stuff, try collecting people & relationships. They last a lot longer & the space they take up will be in your heart.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant!! Your husband is a blessed man.

    ReplyDelete