Monday, August 9, 2010

If it Ain't on the List...

Since I have several ideas on ways to save money, I decided to just start posting them like this instead of constantly writing "Way to Save # so and so." It just seemed like a better idea.

If it ain't on the list, it doesn't come home. This applies to all forms of shopping, not just grocery shopping. I must admit, I am horrible about following this way to save money; but, I believe it's a handy one to know. More often then not, when I come home from the store, I end up with several items I had no intention of buying. I then begin asking myself why. Then I beat myself up for spending way more money than desired. Followed by the "I will not let this happen again" self-talk. Sadly, I must inform you that my self-talks do not last very long. I soon find myself standing in my kitchen with bags and bags of groceries and a less than desirable 2-foot long receipt of items I did not really need.

Sticking to your list will save not only money but also time. If you make a plan before you go to the store, you are more less likely to impulse buy. In case you do not know what an impulse buy is, it is anything you buy that you did not intend to buy. For example, you go to the store and see a cute, little to-go mug that you don't really need & that you didn't come to the store for but decide to buy it anyway. My husband used to say I did this type of shopping a lot. Almost everything I bought was an impulse buy. Impulse buys are not wrong, but should be done in moderation. Having an idea of what you are going to buy helps you stick to your budget and save money. Also, take the coupons and/or ads with you so that you remember what you are going to buy. I not only take a list, coupons & the ads but I also circle the items on the ads that I am going to buy. I then write down the items I am going to buy with the coupons and the items I circled on the ad. This saves me time. Then I only have to look one place to find everything I am going to purchase. I take the ads with me just in case. The times I do not go to the store with a list, I end up spending over an hour looking for things I think I need. Then I end up with odds and ends items and a bill that I never wanted. When I shop with a purpose and stick to the list, I end up with the items I needed and money still in the bank. Not only do I save money by sticking to what is on my list, I also save time. Trips to the store have to be semi-quick these days with a little one that comes with. Her battery expires within a half-hour so I know that I must be quick. I must say that having a little one helps you to be intentional & purpose minded when going to the store.

So, before you step out the door---make a list, gather coupons & ads and when you get to the store, stick to what you had planned before.

No comments:

Post a Comment